BIG DATA ANALYTICS: A PRIMER
Keywords:Big Data, Big Data Analytics, Advanced Analytics
The use of digital devices and systems such smart phones, computers, the Internet, and social media has resulted in a massive volume of data which is exponentially increasing daily. Such data is processed using multiple techniques, collectively known as big data analytics. Big data analytics is the process of examining large amounts of data (big data) to uncover hidden patterns, correlations, and other insights. Analyzing big data enables organizations and businesses to make better and faster decisions. This paper briefly presents the fundamental concepts of big data analytics and its tools.
Song, I.Y & Zhu, Y. 2016. Big data and data science: what should we teach?” Expert Systems, 33, no. 4, August 2016, pp. 364-373. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/exsy.12130
Sadiku, M.N., Nelatury, S.K & Musa, S.M. 2017. Wireless Big Data. Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, vol. 4, no. 9, 107-110.
Yaqoob et al. (2016). Big data: from beginning to future. International Journal of Information Management, 36, 1231-1247. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2016.07.009
Sadiku, M.N.O, Shadare, A.E. & Musa, S.M. 2015. Data mining: a brief introduction. European Scientific Journal, 11, no. 21, 509-513.
Sadiku, M.N.O., Musa, S.M. & Musa, O.M. 2017. Data mining in the chemical industry. International Journal of Trend in Research and Development, 4, no. 6, 295-296.
Gupta, R. (2014) Journey from data mining to web mining to big data. International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology, 10, no. 1,18-20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14445/22312803/IJCTT-V10P104
Mohata,P.B. (2015). Web data mining techniques and implementation for handling big data. International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing, 4, no. 4, 330-334.
Sadiku, M.N.O, Musa, S.M. and Musa, O.S. (2017). Machine Learning. International Research Journal of Advanced Engineering and Science, 2, no. 4, 2017, 79-81.
L’Heureux, A. et al. 2017. Machine learning with big data: challenges and approaches. IEEE Access, 5, 2017, 7776-7797. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2696365
Sadiku, M.N.O., Tembely, M. and Musa, S.M. (2017). Deep learning. International Research Journal of Advanced Engineering and Science, 2, no. 1, 77-78.
Chen, H., Chian, R.H.L. & Storey, V.C. 2012. Business intelligence and analytics: from big data to big impact. MIS Quarterly,36, no. 4, 1165-1188. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/41703503
Raghupathi, W. and Raghupathi, V. (2014). Big data analytics in healthcare: promise and Potential. Health Information Science and Systems, 2, no.3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/2047-2501-2-3
He, Y. (2016). Big data analytics in mobile cellular networks. IEEE Access, 4, 1985-1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2540520
SAS. (2017). Big data analytics: What it is and why it matters. https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/analytics/big-data-analytics.html
Malaka, I. and Brown, I. (2015). Challenges to the organizational adoption of big data analytics: A case study in the South African telecommunications industry. Proceedings of the 2015 Annual Research Conference on South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2815782.2815793
Gahi, Y., Guennoun, M. and Mouftah, H.T. (2016). Big Data Analytics: security and Privacy Challenges. Proceeding of IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communication. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCC.2016.7543859
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section