THE EFFECT OF BLOOD CLAM SHELL POWDER ADDITION ON SHEAR STRENGTH VALUE OF CLAY SOIL
Keywords:Ash From Burning Bricks, Shear Strength, Blood Shells, Stability, Clay Soil
Ground condition is an important aspect that influences performance under the load. An effort to overcome the load problem can be done by improving unstable soil through soil stabilization using blood clam shell powder. In order to determine the shear strength and changes in its value, it can be done by conducting the Triaxial UU test on a mixture of clay and blood clam shell powder with addition of 10%, 20%, 25%, and 30% of soil weight and 4% coal ash. Mixed soil was then stored in plastic for 24 hours to achieve evenly distributed moisture content. Laboratory testing was carried out with reference to ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) standards, aimed to calculate soil shear angle, cohesion, and soil shear strength values. The results showed that the addition of blood clam shell powder and coal ash increased the soil shear strength compared to the clay soil (without any addition). The highest shear strength value of 35,724 kPa was obtained by adding 25% blood clam shells.
Afranita, G., Anita, S., and Hanifah, T. A. (2014). Potensi abu CangkangKerangDarah (AnadaraGranosa) SebagaiAdsorben Ion TimahPutih. Jurnal Universitas Riau, 1(1), 1–5.
American Society For Testing and Materials. (1999). Standard Test Method For Unconsolidated-Undrained Triaxial Compression Test of Cohesive Soil. ASTM Designation, D2850–D2895.
American Society for Testing and Materials. (2009). Standard Test Methods For Particle-Size Distribution (Gradation) of Soils Using Sieve Analysis. ASTM Designation, D6913–D6904.
American Society for Testing and Materials. (2010a). Standard Test Methods For Laboratory Compaction Characteristics of Soil Using Standard Effort (12.400 Ft-Lbf/Ft3 (600 Kn-M/M3)). ASTM Designation, D698–D612.
American Society for Testing and Materials. (2010b). Standard Test Methods for Laboratory Determination of moisture (Moisture) Content of Soil and Rock by Mass. ASTM Designation, D2216–D2210.
American Society for Testing and Materials. (2010c). Standard Test Methods for Liquid Limit, Plastic Limit, And Plasticity Index of Soils. ASTM Designation, D4318–D4308.
American Society for Testing and Materials. (2010d). Standard Test Methods for Specific Gravity of Soil Solids By Water Pycnometer. ASTM Designation, D854–D810.
Atterberg, A. (1911). Uber Die Physikalisebodenuntersuchung Und Uber Die Plastizitatder Tone, Int Mitt, 1. Boden.
Aziudin, H. (2019). Pengaruh Penambahan Serbuk Cangkang Kerang Untuk Meningkatkan Stabilitas Lempung Ekspansif Terhadap Daya Dukung Pondasi Dangkal. Jurnal Universitasnegeri Surabaya, 2(1), 1–9.
Bowles, J. E. (1984). Sifat-Sifat Fisisdan Geoteknis Tanah (Mekanika Tanah) Edisi I. Erlangga.
Bowles, J. E. (1991). Sifat-Sifat Fisisdan Geoteknis Tanah (Mekanika Tanah) Jilid II. Erlangga.
Chen, F. H. (1975). Foundations on Expansive Soils. Elsevier.
Das, B. M. (1995). Mekanika Tanah (Prinsip-Prinsiprekayasageoteknis) Jilid 1. Erlangga.
Hardiyatmo, H. C. (1992). Mekanika tanah 1. PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Hardiyatmo, H. C. (2002). Mekanika Tanah I. Gadjahmada University Press.
Ingles, O. G., and Metcalf, J. B. (1972). Soil Stabilization: Principles and Practice. Butterworths.
Ismida, Y., and Bahri, S. (2015). Pengaruh Campuran Limbah Cangkang Kerang Terhadap Daya Dukung Tanah. Jurnal Ilmiah JURUTERA, 2(1), 1–9.
Lambe, T. W., and Whitman, R. V. (1979). Soil Mechanics. John Wiley And Sons, Inc.
Mohr. (1910). Geotechnical Engineering Investigation Manual. Mcgraw-Hill Book, Co.
Setyowati, M., and Chairudin. (2016). Kajian Limbah Cangkang Kerang Sebagai Alternatif Bahan Amelioran Di Lahangambut. Jurnal Agrotek Lestari, 2(1), 59–64.
Siregar, S. M. (2009). Pemanfaatan Kulit Kerang Dan Resin Epoksi Terhadap Karakteristik Beton Polimer. Universitas Sumatera Utara.
Terzaghi, K., and Peck, R. (1987). Mekanika Tanah Dalampraktekrekayasajilid I. Erlangga.
Wesley, L. D. (1977). Mekanika Tanah (IV). Badan Penerbit Pekerjaan Umum.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Noto Royan, R.A. Sri Martini, Mira Setiawati, Revi Yulianti
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section