TURKEY AND RUSSIA AS MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE BLACK SEA: CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
Currently, the Republic of Turkey plays a vital role in international processes taking place on the world stage. Since ancient times, at the crossroads of the paths between the world of East and West, the Republic of Turkey claims to have an excellent position in the relations of these regions with each other, as well as in their internal processes and events. The universal location between Europe and Asia makes Turkish foreign policy one of its main political issues, especially in the field of regional cooperation. Moreover, the changes in the world of recent decades, such as the collapse of the USSR, revolutions and military operations in eastern countries, the transition of Crimea to Russia, lead to the fact that Turkey pursued its foreign policy thoughtfully and actively, taking the most advantageous positions for itself.
An essential region for pursuing Turkish policy is the Black Sea region. The events of recent years have significantly affected him and the role that large states play in him, such as the Republic of Turkey and the Russian Federation. It also began to arouse great interest among states and regions of the Western world, such as the European Union. The changed geopolitical structure of the Black Sea region has led to the need for its members to determine their positions and areas of interaction in which they are ready to cooperate or, on the contrary, to oppose each other.
In this article, the author will examine the relations of the Turkish Republic and the Russian Federation in the Black Sea region and its importance. In this study, political relations, security, economy, energy, and security will be discussed. In the conclusion of the study, the current state of Turkey-Russia relations and assessments will be made about its future.
Kısacık, Sina, “Türkiye– Rusya Federasyonu İlişkileri”, Access Address: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sina_Kisacik/publication/332835352_Turkiye_Rusya_Federasyonu_Iliskileri/links/5d08a263458515ea1a6d8728/Tuerkiye-Rusya-Federasyonu-Iliskileri.pdf /, (Access Date: 28 January 2020).
AK Parti – Güçlü Meclis, Güçlü Hükümet, Güçlü Türkiye: Yaparsa Yine Ak Parti Yapar – Cumhurbaşkanlığı Seçimleri ve Genel Seçimler Seçim Beyannamesi”, 23 Mayıs 2018, Erişim Adresi: https://www. trthaber.com/pdf/Beyanname23Mays18_icSayfalar.pdf, (Erişim Tarihi: 4 Ağustos 2018).
Başlamış, Cenk ve Deprem, Okay, Vladimir Vladimiroviç Putin: Rusya’yı Ayağa Kaldıran Lider, (İstanbul: Doğan Kitap, Mart 2018).
Örmeci, Ozan ve Kısacık, Sina, Rusya Siyaseti ve Rus Dış Politikası: Teorik ÇerçeveTarihsel Arka Plan-Örnek Olaylar, (Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık, Haziran 2018).
Tüfekçi, Özgür, “İş Birliği ve Kriz İkileminde Türkiye-Rusya İlişkileri”, içinde AK Parti’nin 15 Yılı: Dış Politika, Kemal İnat, Ali Aslan ve Burhanettin Duran (ed.), (İstanbul: SETA Kitapları, Aralık 2017), ss. 135-153.
İsmayıl, Toğrul, “Türkiye-Rusya İlişkileri: “Soğuk Kış” “Sıcak Bahar”a Nasıl Dönüştü?”, içinde Türkiye’de Siyaset ve Uluslararası İlişkiler Alanında Güncel Tartışmalar: Yeni Anayasa, Arap Baharı, Güvenlik ve Terör, Osman Ağır (ed.), (Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık, Haziran 2017), ss. 365-394.
Özdemir, Volkan, Doğalgaz Piyasaları: Türkiye’nin Enerji Güveliği Üzerine Tezler, (İstanbul: Kaynak Yayınları, Ocak 2017), s.129.
Turk Stream, http://www.turkstream.info/tr/press/news/2020/212/, (Access Date: 30 January 2020).
Power Technology, https://www.power-technology.com/projects/akkuyu/, (Access Date: 30 January 2020).
BSEC, http://www.bsec-organization.org/bsec-at-glance (Access Date: 30 January 2020).
Erdoğan ve Putin'den ortak açıklama”, Bloomberg HT, 23 Ocak 2019, https://www.bloomberght.com/haberler/haber/2191219-erdogan-ve-putin-den-ortak-aciklama, (Access Date: 30 January 2020).
M Çelikpala - Commission on the Black Sea Policy Report, 2010 - files.ethz.ch https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/115942/2010_PolicyReport-2.pdf (Access Date: 4 February 2020).
Hüseyin Hayatsever, “‘Türkiye S-400’ler ve NATO ile uyumlu hava savunma sistemlerini farklı yerlerde kullanmayı amaçlıyor’”, Sputnik Türkiye: Görüş, 26 Mart 2018, https://tr.sputniknews.com/columnists/201803261032783519-mesut-hakki-casin-turkiye-rusyas400-patriot/, (Access Date: 4 February 2020).
Demirel N. “Present day foreign policy of the republic of Turkey in the Black sea region”. International periodical scientific journal Intellect. No. 1(63), pp.162-172, Tbilisi, April, 2019.
Demirel N. Russia-super power in the Black sea: from strategic and economic aspects // Journal of Management, Economics, and Industrial Organization, Vol.2 No.1, 2018, pp.20-32. Phnom Penh, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31039/jomeino.2018.2.1.3
Copyright (c) 2020 Nuri Demirel
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section