AN OVERVIEW OF THE CONCEPT OF LEAN CONSTRUCTION AND THE BARRIERS IN ITS IMPLEMENTATION
Keywords:Lean Construction, Key Concepts of Lean Construction, Barriers in Implementing Lean Construction
Many project management approaches have emerged to improve performance in the construction industry. Lean construction is one of the ways to design systems to minimize wastage of materials, time and effort in order to generate maximum possible amount of value. Lean Six Sigma is the combination of two well-known techniques Lean and Six sigma which focuses on quality improvement, reduction in variation and waste elimination. The purpose of this paper is to make an overview of the lean concept and also to include the barriers in implementing this approach. A detailed review of the literature has been done with the view of collecting relevant data necessary for the paper. A questionnaire survey has been conducted to find the barriers affecting its implementation. It was found that six main barriers are there in implementing the concept of Lean construction. These data were subjected to statistical analysis and necessary preventive measures are recommended for mitigating those barriers that were identified. By the implementation of Lean, it is found that, there is a significant reduction in waste, cost and time.
Ahmed Mousa., Lean, six sigma and lean six sigma Overview, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, (Issue 5), May.2013, pp. 1137-1153
S. Sriram., Implementation of Six Sigma Concepts in Construction Project for Ensuring Quality Improvements, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Volume. 5. (Issue 4), 2016, pp. 4913-4921.
S M Abdul Mannan Hussain1 , Barriers To Implement Lean Principles In The Indian Construction Industry, International Journal Of Innovative Research In Advanced Engineering (IJIRAE) ISSN: 2349-2763 , Issue 01, Volume 3 (January 2016).
Mohd Arif Marhani , Aini Jaapara, Nor Azmi Ahmad Baria, Mardhiah Zawawib. Sustainability through Lean Construction Approach: A literature review Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences 101(2013),90-99.
Abdelhamid, T.S. (2003). Six-Sigma in Lean Construction Systems Opportunities and Challenges. Retrieved 26 August 2012 from http://www.leanconstruction.dk
Abdullah, S., Abdul Razak, A., Abu Bakar, A. H. & Mohammad, I. S. (2009). Towards Producing Best Practice in the Malaysian Construction Industry: The Barriers in Implementing the Lean Construction Approach. Retrieved 26 August 2011 from http://eprints.usm.my
Alinaitwe, H.M. (2009). Prioritising Lean Construction Barriers in Uganda's Construction Industry. Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, 15-30.
Howell, G.A. (1999). What is Lean Construction?. Proceeding Seventh Annual Conference Of International Group Of Lean Construction, IGLC-7, University Of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
Pepper, M.P.J and Spedding, T.A. (2010). The evolution of Lean Six Sigma . International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 27 (2), 138-155. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/02656711011014276
Koskela, L. (1992) Application of the new production philosophy to construction. Tech. Report No. 72. CIFE, Stanford University, CA.
Olatunji ,J. (2008).Lean in Nigerian Construction state, barriers, strategies and “go -togemba” approach. Proceedings: IGLC-16, 14-20 July, Manchester, UK.
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section