ANALYSIS OF SURFACE ROUGHNESS MILLED OF STEEL AISI 1045 USING X-BAR AND R CONTROL CHART
The steel milling AISI 1045 has been gaining prominence in industry in recent years as it allows machined parts to be obtained with low-cost inserts. However, to ensure the final product quality, it is important that the milling for machining procedure be well planned in order to the cutters have their wear minimized in the process, as well as a considerable productivity rate with a zero occurrence of reworked parts or scraps. Thus, this paper presents a study about the quality of the machined surface on the end milling process of AISI 1045 steel using titanium nitride (TiN) coated carbide inserts, optimized for a combined design, using Design of Experiments (DOE). Statistical Process Control (SPC) is applied to analyze the process variations using X-bar and R control charts. The objective of this study is to identify the optimal combination of the input setup such as cutting speed (Vc), feed per tooth (fZ), work penetration (ae) and machining depth (ap) that is capable of minimize the process variation. The response measured is the roughness parameter Ra, observed under the influence of cutting fluid, tool wear, concentration and flow of the cutting fluid as noise. The obtained result was the stability of the Ra roughness for the AISI 1045 steel in end milling process, which is not influenced by noise variables due to Robust Parameter Design used in this study
ALMAS, Fabio. Implementation of Statistical Process Control in a textile company. Masters dissertation. Itajubá(MG): UNIFEI, 2003.
BRITO, Tarcísio Gonçalves de. Normal Boundry Intersection Method for Bi-objective Optimization of Top Milling of AISI 1045. 2015. 121 f. Thesis (PhD in Production Engineering) – Federal Engineering School of Itajubá, Itajubá, 2015.
BRITO, T. G.; PAIVA, A. P. ; GOMES, J. H. F. ; BALESTRASSI, P. P. . A normal boundary intersection approach to multi response robust optimization of the surface roughness in end milling process with combined arrays. Precision Engineering, v. 38, p. 628-638, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2014.02.013
CARUSO, D. M; HELLENO, A. L. Six Sigma: a conceptual approach with management methodology or tool for quality improvement. In: XXIXNational Meeting of Production Engineering Production Engineering and Sustainable Development: Integrating Technology and Management. Anais. Salvador, BA,Brasil, 06 to 09 ofoctoberof 2009.
De MAGALHAES, M.S; MOURA NETO, F.D. Economic-statistical design of variable parameters non-central chi-square control chart. Production Journal, 21, pp. 259-270. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-65132011005000031
DINIZ, A. E., MARCONDES, F. C., COPPINI, N. L. Material machining technology. 6ª ed. São Paulo: Artliber Publisher, p. 262, 2014.
FERREIRA, P. O; MEDEIROS, P. G; OLIVEIRA, L. M. Use of statistical process control for monitoring the mean weight of tuberculostatic capsules: a case study. In: XXVIII National Meeting of Production Engineering. The integration of productive chains with the sustainable manufacturing approach. Anais. Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil, 13 to 16 ofoctober de 2008.
GRINE, K., ATTAR, A., AOUBED, A., BREYSSE, D. (2010) Using the design of experiment to model the effect of silica sand and cement on crushing properties of carbonate sand. Materials and Structures, v. 44, pp. 195-203.
HARIDY, S., GOUDA, S. A., WU, Z. (2010). An integrated framework of statistical process control and design of experiments for optimizing wire electrochemical turning process. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, DOI 10.1007/s00170-010- 2828-7.
LINNA, K. W., WOODALL, W. H., Effect of Measurement Error on Shewhart Control Chart, Journal of Quality Technology, vol. 33, nº 2, April 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.2001.11980068
MONTGOMERY, D. C. Design and Analysis of Experiments. 6ª ed. Nova York: John Wiley & Sons, p. 643, 2005.
MONTGOMERY, D. C. Introduction to statistical quality control. 7ª ed. Rio de Janeiro: LTC, 2016.
MONTGOMERY, Douglas C.. Introduction to statistical quality control. Rio de Janeiro: LTC, 2013.
PALADINI, Edson Pacheco. StrategicQuality Assessment. São Paulo: Atlas, 2002. POZZOBON, E. M. P. Application of Statistical Process Control. Master's Dissertation - PostGraduation Program in Production Engineering. Federal University of Santa Maria, Santa Maria, 2001.
RAMOS, E. M. L. S., Improvement and Development of Tools of Statistical Quality Control - Using Quartiles to Estimate Standard Deviation, Doctoral Thesis by the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, April 2003.
SANDVIK COROMANT. Technical Machining Manual, Sandviken, Suécia, 2011.
SHOEMAKER, A. C.; TSUI, K. L.; WU, C. F. J. Economical experimentation methods for robust design. Technometrics, v. 33, n. 4, 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1991.10484870
SNEDECOR, G.W. & Cochran, W.G. (1980), Statistical Methods. 7th ed., The Iowa State Univ. Press, Iowa, USA.
TAGUCHI, G. Introduction to Quality Engineering: Designing Quality into Products and Process. Tokyo, Japan: Asian Productivity Organization, 1986.
WELCH, W. J., YU, T. K., KANG, S. M., SACKS, J. Computer Experiments for Quality Control by Parameter Design, Journal of Quality Technology, v. 22, p. 15-22, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.1990.11979201
Copyright (c) 2018 Leonardo Geraldo Leite, Ítalo de Abreu Gonçalves, Carlos Henrique de Oliveira, Tarcísio Gonçalves de Brito, Sandra Miranda Neves, Emerson José de Paiva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section