THE EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS OF FUEL BALL (KERNEL) DIMENSION SIZE AND URANIUM ENRICHMENT TO REACTOR REACTIVITY
Reactor reactivity does not only depend on reactor diameter but also radius and enrichment of fuel ball (kernel) to operate reactor optimally. This research analyses effectiveness of kernel radius and enrichment to achieve critical reactor condition. The HTR in this research adopts HTR-10 China and HTR of pebble bed. The calculations are performed by using MCNPX code in each kernel radii of 320-350 µm and enrichments of 5-10% Uranium. Kernel is composed of Uranium Dioxide coated by four outer layers: Carbon, IpyC (Inner Pyrolytic Coating), SiC (Silicon Carbides) and OpyC (Outer Pyrolytic Coating). It is called TRISO and it is distributed in pebble-bed ball using Simple Cubic Lattice whereas pebble-bed and moderator balls are distributed in the core zone using a Body Centred Cubic (BCC) lattice by ratio of 57:43. The research results are obtained that the reactor will be effective to achieve critical condition in kernel radius of 325-330 µm at 9% Uranium enrichment and will be in supercritical condition if the reactor uses more than 330 µm of kernel radius and 9% enrichment of Uranium but the reactor will be subcritical if Uranium enrichment is 5-8%.
Masdin, Lumbanraja, S.M,. Kajian Desain Teknologi Reaktor Pendingin Gas Temperatur Tinggi (RTT) dan Prospeknya, Jurnal pengkajian Sains dan Teknologi Nuklir, Vol. 7, 2001.
Holbrook, NRC Licensing Strategy Development for the NGNP, Washington DC; 2008.
Zuhair, Investigasi Kritikalitas HTR (High Temperature Reactor) Pebble Bed Sebagai Fungsi Radius dan Pengayaan Bahan Bakar Kernel. Indonesia Journal of Applied Physics, vol.2. pp. 146, 2012.
Rohanda, A., Pengaruh Kalsinasi pada Suhu 900o dan 1000o C Terhadap Sifat Fisis Kernel U3O8, Internship report. Yogyakarta; Physics engineering; Gajah Mada University; 2004.
Lewis, E.E., Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactor Physics. USA; Academic Press; 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-370631-7.00001-2
Akhadi, M., Pengantar Teknologi Nuklir. Jakarta; Rineka Cipta publishing; 1997.
Ridwan, M., Pengantar Ilmu Pengetahuan Nuklir. Jakarta; Batan; 1978.
Glasstone, S., Nuclear Reactor Theory. New York; Van Nostrand Reinhold Company; 1967.
O. Hammam, S. Evi and R. Very, Modelling of HTR (High Temperature Reactor) PebbleBed 10 MW to Determine Criticality as A Variations of Enrichment and Radius of the Fuel (Kernel) With the Monte Carlo Code MCNP4C, International Journal of Science and Engineering, 8(1),42-46, 2015.
Setiawati, Evi., Oktajianto, H., Richardina, V. and Endro, S.J., Analysis Loading High of HTR (High Temperatur Reactor) Core to Obtain Criticality of Reactor, International Journal of Science and Engineering, 9(2),113-116, 2015.
J. F. Briesmeister, MCNP-A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code, Los Alomos National Laboratory, 1992.
Huda and Obara, Development and Testing of Analytical Models for The Pebble Bed Type HTRs, Annal of Nuclear Energy, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2008.06.009
IAEA, Evaluation of High Temperature Gas Cooled Reactor Performance: Benchmark Analysis Related to Initial Testing of The HTTR and HTR-10, IAEA Publication, 2003.
Copyright (c) 2017 Evi Setiawati, Hammam Oktajianto, Jatmiko Suseno, Choirul Anam, Heri Sugito
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section