STUDY OF INTERFACE BETWEEN GLASS AND STEEL FOR CORROSION RESISTANCE APPLICATION
Keywords:Chlorinity, Silanol, Glass coating, Corrosion, Crofer steel, diffusion
A protective glass- based coating of N-15 and N-25 glass was deposited on the Crofer steel by slurry method and its effect on 7500C-8500C has been studied. Oxidation behavior of steel at high temperature of 12500C was also investigated. Interface study of N-25 glass &Crofer steel and N-15 glass &Crofer steel has been done and found that coating of N-15 glass on the steel is more smooth and effective to prevent the surface of steel from corrosion.Structural study of different type of glass has also been done. Bare steel sample as well as coated steel sample was taken for the study of their isothermal oxidation which shows that the glass coating could prevent the corrosion and improve the quality of steel surface for practical application.This corrosion resistant effect takes place because a thin layer of molten glass is formed on the surface of steel at high temperature. This layer then acts as a diffusion barrier. This coating of glass and steel is cost effective, hence have wide application in many infrastructural construction where corrosion is a big challenge. It is also very useful in marine conditions where steel is most likely to be corroded be sea water.
C. A. Angell, Chem. Rev. 90 (1990) 523–542. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/cr00101a006
W.H. Zachariasen, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 54 (1932) 3841-3851. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01349a006
S. Das, S. Datta, D. Basu, G. C. Das, Ceram. Int. 35 (2009) 1403–1406. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2008.07.005
H.A. Robinson, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 26 (1965) 209-222. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3697(65)90148-4
K.P. Mueller, GlastechnischeBerichte 42 (1969) 83-89.
X. Wang, Mater. Sci. 5 (2005) 91.
C.Cailleteau, Insight into silicate-glass corrosion mechanisms, Nature (2008). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/nmat2301
M.Hock, E. Schäffer, W. Döll, G. Kleer, Surf. Coat. Tech. 163-164 (2003) 689-694. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(02)00658-8
H.Meng, X. Hu, A. Neville, Wear 263 (2007) 355-362. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2006.12.007
P.R. Roberge, Handbook of Corrosion Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000.
N.Pandya, D.W. Muenow, S.K. Sharma, B. L. Sherriff, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 176 (1994) 140-146. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3093(94)90071-X
L.Bragina, O. Shalygina, N. Kuryakin, V. Annenkov, N. Guzenko, K. Kupriyanenko,V.Hudyakov, A.Landik IOP Conference Series: Material Science and Engineering 25(2011) Article Number 012012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/25/1/012012
A.Zhang, Z. Jian, S. Jiao, D. Wei, Int. J. Surf. Sci. Eng. 5 (2011) 5-6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSURFSE.2011.044390
Peng Liu, Liang Wei, Xun Zhou, Sgufeng Ye, Yunfa Chen, J.Coat.Technol.Res(1) 149-152,2011,DOI10.1007/S998-10-9302-1. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-010-9302-1
L.L. Hench, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 19 (1975) 27-39. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3093(75)90067-8
S.Ghos, P.Kundu, A.Das Sharma, R.N.Basu, H.S.Maiti, J.European Ceramic Society, 28(2008),69-76. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2007.05.008
Z.Yang, J.W.Stevenson, K.D.Meinhardt, Solid State Ionics, 160(2003),213-225. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2738(03)00160-7
S.Song, Z.Wen, Y.Liu, J.Lin, X.Xu, Q.Zhang, J.Solid State Electrochem, 14(2010),1735-1740. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-010-1028-6
Peng Liu, Lianqi Wei, Shufeng Ye, HaiweiXu, Yunfa Chen, Surface and Coating Technology 205(2011) 3582-3587. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.12.036
Study of Glass-Steel interface for corrosion resistance applications, Thesis submitted by Bpupinder Kaur to Thaper Institute of Engineering and Technology, 2013.
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section