OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE OF STABILIZED EDE LATERITE AS AN ALTERNATIVE CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL
Keywords:Laterite, Compressive Strength, Water Absorption Capacity, Linear Shrinkage, Curing, Cement, Lime, Bitumen, Stabilized
Laterite samples from Ede area with particle components of 19.7% clay, 32.8% silt and 47.5% sand was stabilized with combined cement, lime and bitumen and test for Compressive strength, Linear Shrinkage, Permeability and Water Absorption. The stabilizers were mixed with laterite soil in different ratios and percentage. The laterite carried 90% which is constant while the three stabilizers shared the remaining 10% in varying form. After 28 days of curing, laterite stabilizer with 90% of laterite, 8% of cement, 1% lime and 1% bitumen (LCLB1) possessed compressive strength of 2.01N/mm2. It Water Absorption Capacity was 3.05%. LCLB4 stabilizer (90% laterite, 6% cement, 2% lime and 2% bitumen) has the same compressive strength with LCLB1 stabilizer but with a high Water Absorption Capacity of 4.2%. The stabilizer of 90% laterite, 3.33% cement, 3.33% lime and 3.33% of bitumen (LCLB8) has the lowest compressive strength of 0.74N/mm2 and the highest Water Absorption Capacity of 5.39%. The results shows that LCLB1 stabilizer is a better stabilizer for strength and blocks made from laterite stabilized with it stand a good alternative to sand Crete blocks in building constructions. The combination of these stabilizers in order to determine a most economical volume combination for optimum performance is highly possible and economical.
Adedeji Y.M.D. (2010). Technology and standardized composite cement fibres forhousing in Nigeria. J. Niger. Inst. Archit. 1: 19-24.
Adegbenle, B.O. (2006). Properties of Laterite Stabilized with Combined Cement, Lime and Bitumen. Unpublished, Higher National Diploma, Civil Engineering. The Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi.
Annual Book of ASTM Standards (1980). American Society of Testing and Materials. Part 13, pp. 230-232.
Arayela O. (2005). Laterite bricks: before now and hereafter. Inaugural lecture series 40. Federal University of Technology, Akure. 5-15.
British Standard Institution, BS 1377 (1975). Method of Testing for Soils for Civil Engineering Purpose. BSI, London. 214-216.
Chwieduk, D. (2003). Towards Sustainable-Energy Building. Appl. Energy, 76: 211-217.
Dalvi, A.D.; Bacon, W.G.; Osborne, R.C. (2004). The Past and the Future of Nickel Laterite (Report). PDAC 2004 International Convention, Trade Show and Investors Exchange.
Department of Environmental, Britain. (1973). Manufacture and Application of Lightweight Concrete. Overseas Building Notes No. 152. London.
Ndubua, E.E. and Malgwi, Y.I. (2004). Improving the Compressive Strength of Laterite using Cement, Lime and Rice Straw. Sabondale Journal of Technical Education. Vol. 6. Mubi.
United Nation Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. (1989). Building Materials and Construction Technologies for low-cost Housing in Developing ESCAP Countries. Building Technical Series 1 and 2, ESCAP, Bangkok. P. 19.
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section