AN EFFICIENT APPROACH FOR MR BRAIN IMAGE MULTILEVEL SEGMENTATION AND PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS
Keywords:Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), segmentation, Spatial Fuzzy C-Means (SFCM), Firefly Optimization (FO), Gray matter (GM), White Matter (WM), Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
Complex organs can be analysed by using the Magnetic Resonance Image (MRI). This kind of imaging helps the doctors for diagnosis and treatment of neurological diseases. Brain is the complex organ of the human body. It controls the all the organs in our body. Accurate segmentation and analysis of brain tissues such as Gray Matter and White Matter help the doctors for the diagnosing of some complex diseases and neuro surgery. In this paper an efficient method for the segmentation of Gray Matter, White Matter and Cerebrospinal Fluid, Skull regions from MRI brain image using Spatial Fuzzy C-Means was proposed. However, accuracy of this algorithm is not efficient for abnormal brain. To improve the accuracy of segmentation Firefly Optimization algorithm was implemented. Proposed method was implemented using MATLAB 184.108.40.2067246 (R2015a) and various parameters were analysed.
Sudipta Roy, Atanu Saha and Samir K. Bandyopadhyay, “Brain Tumor Segmentation and Quantification from MRI of Brain”,Journal of Global Research in Computer Science, Vol.2 No. 4, April 2011.
Pratik Vinayak Oak and R. S. Kamathe, “Contrast Enhancement of Brain MRI Images using Histogram Based Techniques ”,International Journal of Innovative Research in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation, and Control Engineering, Vol.1, Issue 3, June 2013.
J. Jaya, K. Thanushkodi and M. Karnan, “Tracking Algorithm for De-Noising of MR Brain Images”, IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, VOL.9 No.11, November 2009.
Jorge D. Mendiola-Santibaneza, Ivan R. Terol-Villalobosb, GilbertoHerrera-Ruiza and Antonio FernandezBouza, "Morphological Contrast Measure and Contrast Enhancement: One Application to the Segmentation of Brain MRI”, Elsevier, Signal Processing 87 (2007), 2125-2150. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2007.02.008
Sayali D. Gahukar, Dr. S.S. Salankar, “ Segmentation of MRI brain image using Fuzzy c-means for brain tumor diagnosis”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 2014, 4, 4 , 107-111.
Priyanka, Balwinder singh, A review on brain tumor detection using segmentation”, International journal of Computer Science and mobile computing, 2013, 2, 7, 48-54.
Anjum sheikh, R.K. Krishna, Subroto Dutt, “Energy efficient approach for segmentation of brain tumor using Ant colony optimization”, International Journal of computer technology and electronics engineering, 2011, 1, 3, 138-142.
T.D.Vishnumurthy, H.S. Mohana, A. Vaibhav , Meshram, “ Automatic segmentation of MRI mbrain images and Tumor detection using Morphological techniques”, International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Communication, Computer and Optimization techniques, 2016, 6-11 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICEECCOT.2016.7955176
N. Senthilkumaran, R.Rajesh, “Brain image segmentation”, International journal of wisdom based computing, 2011, 1 (3), 14-18.
A. Meena, K.Raja, “Spatial Fuzzy C-Means PET Image Segmentation of NeurodegenerativeDisorder”, Indian Journal of Computer Science and Engineering (IJCSE), ISSN: 0976-5166 Vol. 4 No.1 Feb-Mar 2013, 50-55.
Sudip Kumar Adhikari,Jamuna Kanta Singb, Dipak Kumar Basub, Mita Nasipurib, “Conditional spatial fuzzy C-means clustering algorithmfor segmentation of MRI images”, Appl. Soft Comput. J. (2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2015.05.038. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2015.05.038
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section