CORRUPTION AND INSTITUTIONAL INTEGRITY: THE CASE OF BANGLADESH
Keywords:Bangladesh, Corruption, Good-Governance, Institutional Integrity, Trust, WellBeing
This paper highlights the view that corruption can be combated if institutional integrity can be put into practice, i.e. ‘institutional integrity’ has been considered as a key strategy to curb corruption. Based on literature review, the authors explain argument in three sections: in the first section, the article focuses on conceptualization of corruption, corruption & institutional integrity. In the second section, the article examines integrity-governance-corruption nexus in Bangladesh. Finally, it outlines initiatives of Government of Bangladesh (GoB) for curbing corruption with concluding remark.
Aminuzzaman, S. M. & Khair, S., 2017, Governance and Integrity: The National Integrity System in Bangladesh. The University Press Limited, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Harrison, Elizabeth., 2007, ‘Corruption’, Development in Practice, vol. 17, no. 4-5, pp. 672-678. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09614520701469971
Hellman, Joel S., et al. “Measuring Governance, Corruption, and State Capture: How Firms and Bureaucrats Shape the Business Environment in Transition Economies.” Policy Research Working Paper 2312. EBRD and the World Bank, April 2000.Web. 05 August 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-2312
Huther, Jeff, and Anwar Shah. “Anti-Corruption Policies and Programs: A Framework for Evaluation.” Policy Research Working Paper 2501. Washington, D. C.: World Bank, 2000.Web. 05 August 2010.
Iftekharuzzaman, 2017, Promoting transparency, The Daily Star, Bangladesh.
Khan, Mohammad Mohabbat. From Government to Governance: Expanding the Horizon of Public Administration to Public Management. Dhaka: The University Press Limited, 2009. Print.
Klitgaard, Robert. “International Cooperation Against Corruption.” Finance & Development 35.1(March1998): 3-6. Web. 06 August 2010.
L. Paine, 1997, Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Integrity, Irwin, Chicago.
Laura Westra, 2000, ‘Living in integrity: A global ethic to restore a fragmented earth’, Environmental Ethics, Vol. 22, No.1, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5840/enviroethics200022152
P. Werhane and R. Freeman, 1997, Encyclopedic Dictionary of Business Ethics, Blackwell, Cambridge, MA, 1997.
Planning Commission of Bangladesh 2016, Seventh Five Year Plan, FY2016-FY2020, Accelerating Growth, Empowering Citizens, Ministry of Planning, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
Pope, Jeremy., 2000, TI Sourcebook 2000. Confronting Corruption: The Elements of a National Integrity System. Berlin and London: Transparency International.
Power and Participation Research Centre (PPRC). Bangladesh Governance Report 2007: Unbundling Governance: Indices Institutions Process Solutions. Ed. Hossain Zillur Rahman. Dhaka: Power and Participation Research Centre, 2007. Print.
Saha, Sebak Kumar., 2014, ‘Corruption and Good Governance: The Case of Bangladesh’, SUST Journal of Social Sciences, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 45-52.
Schacter, Mark, and Anwar Shah. “Look Before You Leap: Notes for Corruption Fighters.” Policy Brief No. 11. Ottawa: Institute on Governance, April 2001. Web. 18 August 2010. <http://iog.ca/sites/iog/files/policybrief11.pdf>.
Sen, Amartya. Development as Freedom. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2000. Print.
Shah, Anwar, and Mark Schacter. “Combating Corruption: Look Before You Leap.” Finance & Development (December 2004): 40-43. Web. 05 August 2010.  <http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTWBIGOVANTCOR/Resources/CombatingCorruption.pd f>.
Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB), 2014, NATIONAL INTEGRITY SYSTEM ASSESSMENT BANGLADESH. Transparency International Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB), 2015, Corruption in Service Sectors: National Household Survey 2015. Transparency International Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB), 2016, Half Yearly Report 2016. Transparency International Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Todaro, M. P. & Smith, S. C., 2003, Economic Development, Pearson Education, Singapore.
World Bank, 1997, Bangladesh: Government that Works: Reforming the Public Sector. The University Press Limited, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
World Bank, 2000, Corruption in Bangladesh: Costs and Cures, Dhaka, April 7, 2000.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID), 2005, Tools for Assessing Corruption & Integrity in Institutions. The IRIS Center, University Research Corporation International.
How to Cite
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section