MITIGATING DRINKING WATER CRISIS IN TAMIL NADU
Keywords:Mitigating, Drinking Water, Crisis
India is the fifth largest country in terms of area in the world. It has 3.288 million sq. km. The first four largest countries are: Russia (17.075 m.sq.km); the USA (9.629 m.sq.km); China (9.597 m.sq.km); and Brazil (8.512 m.sq.km). Population wise, India ranks second in the world. As on 18.08.2019 India’s population is 1365.3 million and World population is 7676.6 million (indiastat.com). That is, India has 17.8% of the world population. As far as Tamil Nadu is concerned, its population in 2011 was 72.14 million and it increased to 81.20 million in 2019. As far as the world water resources is concerned, the 29% of land area has one lakh KM3 of fresh water, in which about 60% goes as evaporation annually. The remaining 40%, i.e. 40,000 KM3 goes as run-off by rivers and percolation to groundwater in the world. India’s share is 4% of world supply that is 4000 KM3. It is estimated in India, 51% of precipitation goes as evaporation and the remaining 49% is the annual water resources that is 1953 KM3. This is divided as 1521 KM3 (78%) as surface water and 432 KM3 (22%) as groundwater resource. From this quantum, the annual utilizable water is calculated as 1086 KM3 (690 KM3 as surface water and 396 KM3 as groundwater). However, the present quantity of water use is only 600 KM3 from both surface and groundwater resources. This is only 31% of annual water resources (for details see chart 1). If, available quantity is prudently used India can solve many water related problems.
Dinamani daily, Chennai, 27.06.2019.
GOI Strategic Plan-2011-2022 Department of drinking Water and Sanitation –Rural Drinking Water. Ministry of Rural Development. P. 9.
GoTN., State Focus Paper 2015-16. Tamil Nadu, NABARD Regional office pages 50 & 51.
Katju Markandey (2019) Water Woes, The Hindu, Tiruchirappalli, June 20, p9.
Kathpalia G.N. and Rakesh Kapoor (2002). Water Policy and Action Plan for India 2020: An Alternative. Alternative Futures, Development Research and Communications Group, New Delhi.
NABARD, Annual Report 2015-16 Page 102.
Sivasubramaniyan, K., V. Rengarajan and T. Veeraian, Impact Evaluation Study in Respect of Rural Drinking Water Supply Project Assisted under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) in Tamil Nadu, NABARD Project Study, MIDS, April 2019. P. 3.
Swajaldhara guidelines 2002: “Sector Reform Impact on Rural Drinking Water Schemes - A Case Study from Raigad District in Maharashtra” Pooja Prasad and others, Center for Technology Alternative for rural Areas, (CTARA) Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
The Hindu dated 30th June 2018. “Need to rethink Western water supply standards.”
How to Cite
With the licence CC-BY, authors retain the copyright, allowing anyone to download, reuse, re-print, modify, distribute, and/or copy their contribution. The work must be properly attributed to its author.
It is not necessary to ask for further permission from the author or journal board.
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.