ETHIOPIA AND ETHIOPIANISM IN SELECTED HISTORICAL PLAYS BY TSEGAYE GEBREMEDHIN
The main objective of this research was to show the representation of Ethiopia and Ethiopianism in Tsegaye Gebremedhin’s selected historical plays (Tewodros, Petros Yachin Seat and Menelik). The basic research questions focused on how the depiction and representation can be explained and to answer these questions, new historical theoretical and critical approach was used. A purposive sampling method was used to select the sample plays that offer relevant data by using some criteria. The main method of data collection focuses on a close reading of literary and non-literary texts. After reading the plays critically, the major elements of Ethiopianism and historical events are identified, analyzed and interpreted. Accordingly, patriotism, unity, hospitality and freedom and independence were identified as elements of Ethiopianism, and the passion of Abune Petros, Tewodros at Meqdela and the battle of Adwa are identified as major historical events. The analysis mainly shows that these elements of Ethiopianism and historical events are depicted in the plays positively to promote the prevalence of Ethiopianism. The plays used direct, indirect and symbolic way of expression to articulate Ethiopianism. Generally, the plays are written based on the actual historical events which possess the mentioned elements of Ethiopianism and these elements are depicted in a way that advocates the need to develop the sense of Ethiopianism than ethnicity.
ጸጋዬ ገብረ መዴኅን (2003 ዓ.ም)፡፡ጴጥሮስ ያቺን ሰዓት፡፡በታሪካዊ ተውኔቶቸ ውስጥ፡፡አዱስ አበባ፤አዱስ አበባ ዩኒቨርሲቲ ፕሬስ፡፡
ጸጋዬ ገብረ መዴኅን (2003 ዓ.ም)፡፡ቴዎዴሮስ፡፡በታሪካዊ ተውኔቶቸ ውስጥ፡፡አዱስ አበባ፤አዱስ አበባ ዩኒቨርሲቲ ፕሬስ፡፡ ጸጋዬ ገብረ መዴኅን (2003 ዓ.ም)፡፡ምኒሌክ፡፡በታሪካዊ ተውኔቶቸ ውስጥ፡፡አዱስ አበባ፤አዱስ አበባ ዩኒቨርሲቲ ፕሬስ፡፡
ቴዎዴሮስ ገብሬ (2001)፤ በይነ-ዱሲፕሉናዊ የሥነ ጽሑፍ ንባብ፤ አዱስ አበባ፤ አዱስ አበባ ዩኒቨርሲቲ፡፡ ኤርሚያስ ሁሴን (2010)፤ እሳትና ውሃ ፤ ልሬት ፀጋዬ ገብረ መዴኅን፤ (ቅፅ 1)፤ አዱስ አበባ፡፡
Anteneh Aweke (2014). The Representation of Ethiopian Politics in Selected Amharic Novels: 1930 - 2010. PhD dissertation, for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the subject Theory of Literature, University of South Africa.
Ayele Bekrie (2004). Ethiopia; Some Historical Reflections on the Origion of the Word Ethiopia. International Journal of Ethiopian studies, Vol 1, No.2, (winter/spring), pp.110- 121.Retrieved 09-06-2019 from http://www.Jstor.org/
Bahru Zewde (1987). A History of Modern Ethiopia: 1855-1991 (1st ed.). Addis Ababa: Addis Ababa University Press.
Bart, Bonikowski (2008). Research on American Nationalism: Review of the Literature, Annotated Bibliography, and Directory of Publicly Available Data Sets.
Creswell, J. (2007). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design; choosing among five approaches. sage Publication, America.
Puspa, Damai (2012). Welcoming Strangers: Hospitality in American Literature and Culture.
PhD dissertation submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
Doctor of Philosophy in subject of American Culture and English Language and Literature in the University of Michigan.
Deraman, Nurul and Razak, Fariza. (2018). A Study of Unity and Patriotism Elements in Film Ola Bola: A Thematic Analysis. Journal of Media and Information Warfare,Journal of Media and Information Warfare Vol. 11(2), 80-107, Dec 2018.
Rogers, J. A. (1982). The real facts about Ethiopia. Black classic press, Atlanta University.
John, Jackson (1939). Ethiopia and the Origin of Civilization. A Critical Review of the Evidence of Archaeology, Anthropology, History and Comparative Religion: According to the Most Reliable Sources and Authorities.
Merara Gudina. (2003). Competing Ethnic Nationalisms in Ethiopian and the Quest for Democracy.
Molvaer, KR. 1980. Tradition and change in Ethiopia: social and cultural life as reflected in Amharic fictional literature ca. 1930-1974. Leiden: Brill.
Okolo, MSC. (2007). African Literature as Political Philosophy. CODESRIA Books. Dakar, Senegal.
Punkhrust, Richard (2005). Historic Image of Ethiopia. Shama Publishing, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Hisham, Rahman (2016). A Study from a New Historicist Approach of Arthur Miller's
Death of a Salesman. M.A thesis, Department of Foreign Language and Literature, Middle East University.
Solomon Tesema. (2007). “Interdisciplinarity in Tsegaye G/medhin’s Hahu weym Pepu”.
M.A thesis, Department of Foreign Language and Literature, Addis Ababa University.
Tewodros Hailemaryam. (2013). A history of nationalism in Ethiopia:1941 to 2012.PhD dissertation, for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the subject History, University of Addis Ababa.
Wallis B. (1928). A history of Ethiopia. VI-VII. Shama Publishing, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Copyright (c) 2020 Haimanot wassie, Animut Getahun
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- That its release has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with International Journal of Engineering Technologies and Management Research agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
For More info, please visit CopyRight Section